Your consultant: Connor Eden
Connor has a wealth of experience within the finance sector, having worked for a very prestigious agency in London – he now heads up our financial services desk here at Athena.
Have a read of what Connor says about himself:
“I’m a very strong minded and assertive character with a passion for sales. Now as one of the line managers at Athena, I thrive on giving a high class service to both clients and candidates – which I believe is just as important as the outcome.
In my free time, I teach football to my local youth team, as well as go and watch the team I support, Liverpool, at their home ground as often as I can.”
- Accounting & Banking
- Job Type:
Tax, VAT, Accounting, Accountant, Practice
Job Title: Accountant
Job Level: Level 4
Department: Business & Private
Hours: Full time
My client is a UK Top 50 Accountancy Firm with a major regional presence in East Anglia currently employing over 300 people with plans to grow. They have an exciting opportunity for an Accountant to join their Business & Private Team ideally in their Norwich office.
Main Purpose of the role:
To work as part of the Business and Private Department, predominately managing the preparation and reviewing of accounts and tax computations for owner managed companies, partnerships and sole traders.
This role will also include reviewing VAT returns, preparing and reviewing individual, company and partnership tax returns and providing a hands-on compliance role that exceeds client expectations and supports the partner/manager team. The successful candidate will have responsibility for all aspects of their clients work, and opportunities to get involved in business development activity.
Accounts and tax
· Preparing accounts, and reviewing accounts prepared by others
· Preparing and reviewing self-assessment, partnership and company tax returns
· Managing own workload and client expectations
· Working within budgets set at the planning stage.
· Overseeing staff in the preparation of accounts, providing training where required and assisting with their development
· Ensuring the efficient use of appropriate software packages internally, and supporting clients’ accounting systems.
· Maintains up to date understanding of clients business.
· Maintains good working relationships with client staff.
· Is aware of the wide range of Larking Gowen services, and spots opportunities to potentially sell those services to clients.
· Takes an active role in business development, and promoting the firm in the local area.
· Corresponding with clients and liaising with HMRC
· Consistently achieves deadlines and understands the commercial implications of actions relating to productivity, recoverability, fee income and client service.
· Communicates workload with manager or partner.
· Attends training courses as identified in order to develop both technical and personal skills and keeps records for compliance purposes.
· Adheres to the firms risk management policies and procedures.
· Undertakes other duties to meet the demands of the business.
Education and qualifications
· Qualified (ACA, ACCA or AAT) or close to qualification.
· Maths and English Language at GCSE or equivalent;
· Experience of working in an accountancy practice in an accounts/tax role
· Knowledge of income and corporation tax, and general understanding of capital gains tax and other taxes
· Experience of using Microsoft packages, internet, email and computerised packages.
· Proven ability to adapt quickly to changing deadlines and priorities
· Experience of managing a portfolio of clients
· Experience of working on Sage, Quickbooks or similar programmes
· Strong organisation skills
· Ability to network and develop contacts
· Excellent communication skills (written and oral)
· Be proactive in identifying practical solutions to internal and client issues
· Be able to operate at a high level of confidentiality
· Have a “can do” approach
· Innovative and able to use own initiative.
· Delivers excellent client services at all times